Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont (www.newmont.com) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont’s core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role
What will you be responsible for?
Technical Services provides global support to Newmont and its operating businesses across a range of niche technical functions. Within Technical Services, the Asset Management (AM) function will be responsible for creating and implementing effective global asset strategies, delivering efficient asset planning and strategic insights to drive exceptional global asset performance across Newmont’s portfolio. It aims to ensure that Newmont’s asset management processes and capabilities are a source of sustainable and considerable driven advantage for Newmont. This is achieved by focusing on business process standardization, proactive collaboration, competency and capability development, maintenance and reliability practices, relevant global productivity metrics and targeted value-adding asset lifecycle cost improvements. The AM function is focused on delivering value aligned with our philosophy of continuous improvement and rapid replication.
The strategic planning function ensures that asset strategies including maintenance plans, tasks lists, bills of materials, labor requirements and work instructions are implemented and applied by transactional planners and site teams.
This is a leadership role that draws on expertise as a people manager, strategic problem solver, project manager, communicator, technical subject matter authority, and problem solver. Key outcomes include:
- Lead the preparation and review of long-term asset strategies and budgets for [fixed/mobile] equipment and master data management conducted by Reliability Engineers & Strategic Planners
- Supervising technical criteria and supply chain engagement for warranty and vendor management
- Oversee initiation and implementation of AM strategy development and optimization process
- Ensuring timely update and improvement of equipment strategies based on site findings, OEM updates, and AM OSN insights, and communication of material changes to relevant partners
- Creating and communicating AM standard methodologies and technical vision across Newmont portfolio
In this role you will
Your role will consist of:
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
Safety and Health
- We demonstrate proactive leadership in achieving a global Newmont culture of safety and health
- We actively promote Newmont’s safety standards and improvement initiatives
Global Strategic Equipment Planning & Life Cycle Management
- We provide guidance and direction to strategic planners for standardization and improvement of equipment strategies and/or associated master data
- We coordinate and delegate work, identify and prioritize new opportunities, ensure consistency across departments
- We ensure updates and improvements to strategies prompted by OEM updates, site findings, or AM OSN insights are proactively socialized with relevant partners and collected in SAP/AMT
- We are responsible for process to communicate strategy updates to the relevant partners and identify areas for improvement as needed
Budget and Business Planning
- We provide strategic direction to support the development of annual zero based maintenance budgets for sites
- We coordinate review of site budgets for approval with site and regional leadership (e.g. VPP’s) for submission in annual business plan
- We ensure updates and improvements to budgets and Life Cycle Cost Models driven by changes in guidance, site requirements and strategies are proactively socialized with relevant partners and collected in AMT
- We drive collaboration with Mining and Processing OSN’s and production planning to ensure alignment of operational (Xeras) and maintenance budgets (AMT) for business planning
Contracts and SC Engagement
- We provide guidance/direction to Contracts and Supply Chain (SC) Engagement team as they coordinate offsite repairs, drive vendor assessments and QA, conduct warranty management, and support reliability engineers with repair vs. replace decisions for assets
- We provide key insights and guidance to the Supply Chain Directorate in support of major equipment purchase decisions
- We ensure timely and transparent information flow between SC to AM regarding lead times, vendor changes, OEM strategy updates, and other critical information
- We implement global talent management strategy and pipeline
- We facilitate a hard-working virtual work environment across multiple globally dispersed locations.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills, & experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent confirmed experience
- ERP system experience desirable
- Maintenance budgeting tools experience desirable (e.g. AMT, Xeras)
- Strong understanding of planning and reliability principles
- Significant demonstrated experience in heavy industry, with both asset management and operations experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience leading a hard-working team and implementing value driven improvements
- Experience with manual and computerized maintenance planning systems.
- Experience with change, communication and knowledge management methodologies
- Experience in implementing Asset Management principles and standard methodologies across multiple sites
- Experience developing and implementing equipment strategies that improve Asset Management performance, reliability and safety, reducing operating costs and improving return on assets
- Demonstrated experience with leading a hard-working, multi-disciplined, diverse team
- Experience with master data management and governance
- Experience with budget and business plan preparation
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and ability to drive performance improvement initiatives in a sophisticated and global organization
- Demonstrated leadership through coaching, mentoring, and developing individuals and advising project teams to exceed expected performance levels
- An ability to quickly assess information to diagnose problems and opportunities, with a track record of strong professional judgment and critical thinking
- Ability to lead and influence partners across Newmont including within operations, supply chain, and external partners
- An ability to lead global teams and running people/tasks both in-person and virtually
- The ability to work flexibly to meet the frequent out of normal office hours requirements of leading a global team and project
Working conditions & location
Where you will be located!
- Position may be office based or hybrid (office & remote work)
- Position may be required to travel domestically and internationally
- Flexible hours required to accommodate global nature of work
The salary range offered for this role is $148,160 to 194,460. The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate’s salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company’s performance and their own individual performance. This role also will be eligible for participation in a discretionary long-term incentive program, pursuant to which an employee may receive awards based on their level and individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont’s sole discretion.
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.