We are actively seeking a motivated, mid-level/senior controller or director of finance to lead our finance & accounting team to support the growth of Cactus. The controller/finance director, reporting to the President/CMO, provides critical support to the leadership team with proactive financial forecasting, insight & analysis, recommendations, robust reporting and supporting data to inform agency financial decision-making. The controller is responsible for oversight of financial planning, budgeting, accounting, payroll, compliance, and will lead innovation in Cactus’ financial processes, reporting, and systems.
· Lead the accounting and finance function of the agency – including but not limited to AP/AR, payroll, relationships with outside banking and accounting partners, agency taxes, and producing timely and accurate financial reporting & analysis that inform our business decisions and support the agency’s growth strategy.
· Responsible for oversight of monthly accounting entries and other close procedures, quarterly and annual reviews and adjustments, reconciliations and consolidation, and flux analyses.
· Develop and manage financial controls in accordance with the agency’s existing procedures and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
· Monitor and ensure compliance of all statutory returns and filings.
· Create, document and continuously improve all accounting processes.
· Manage financial audit process, both internal audits, as well as outside audits.
· Review critical components of annual budgets with agency leadership team; participate in the final approval of annual budgets by agency partners (CEO & CCO).
· Manage the preparation of monthly financial statements, gross profit analysis, expense tracking, cashflow management, labor utilization, trends against benchmarks, and other financial reports as needed.
· Review and provide input to leadership of financial performance of each department, account group, and total agency on a monthly basis.
· Perform various ad-hoc financial analyses on projects as requested by leadership team.
· Oversee company accounting team with preparation of related tax returns and associated reports such as property, payroll, and sales/use taxes.
· Establish and maintain strong working relationships with leadership team and department leads, identifying and developing solutions to a full range of business issues.
· Develop, manage, and mentor a high-performing finance team that works collaboratively to produce high quality results for the agency, and an exceptional service to our clients.
· 7+ years of Accounting experience and a minimum of 3 years managing people and elements of the accounting function is required.
· BS/BA in Accounting required.
· Deep understanding of GAAP required.
· Experience working in an advertising agency strongly preferred.
· Strong analytical and technical accounting skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
· Strong forecasting and planning abilities, proactively generating reports and bringing data-driven recommendations to the agency leadership team.
· Skilled at managing relationships with departmental stakeholders company wide.
· Self-starter who enjoys working in a dynamic and creative work environment.
· Deep understanding of internal controls and compliance.
· Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills required.
· Ability and willingness to meet critical business deadlines.
· Proficient with software applications (MS and Google suites, Slack), previous experience with Workamajig a plus.